Similar to the Leadership and Civil Society programme, this slightly longer fourteen-week internship places a stronger emphasis on future leaders in politics and public service. As the Centre’s flagship offering, it promotes intellectual rigour and discernment, character formation, and involves work-experience in key areas of government. Classes unlock centuries of Christian theological insight into law, government and good policy-making. Interns sharpen their political thinking by reading primary sources of formative social and political theorists in the context of their culture, finding parallels in art, music, and literature. They are trained in public speaking, debating, writing for specific audiences (op-ed, speeches, précis, and briefs), and media presentation. Graduates join an active network of alumni already shaping the future direction of Australia.
Cost: $4500. Price includes accommodation, meals, excursions, programme materials, and transportation to and from Canberra airport.
The programme runs twice a year with a maximum of twelve interns per semester.
August 12th - November 17th 2018
Application closes at July 1st 2018
Why come on a Leadership and Civil Society or Leadership and Public Service programme?
You will have:
- Unparalleled access to Christian leaders, experts, and influencers;
- The opportunity to interrogate ideas with experts and peers;
- The intellectual and theological grounding necessary for engaging in public life and society;
- Direction for disciplined and discerning reading; and
- Training in strategy and negotiation by field experts.
People who complete programmes consistently report:
- A deeper love of God and a greater understanding of the church and the Christian faith;
- The strengthening of life-long spiritual habits, including prayer, church attendance, scripture-reading, and fasting;
- A renewed sense of mission for societal change;
- A robust theological and ethical framework for Christian living and decision-making; and
- Effectiveness in their work.
Leadership and Public Service Residency, Spring 2018: August 12th - November 17th 2018
Applications open: October 1st 2017 - July 1st 2018
Notification of selection: July 15th 2018
Graduation: November 17th 2018
Each successful applicant receives a $10,000 scholarship towards the overall programme fee. Interns pay a remaining balance of $4000 (GST inclusive) or $4,500 (GST inclusive), dependent on the programme, prior to commencement.
The Centre is based in rural north Canberra. Its twenty-acre homestead has eight ensuite bedrooms and multiple living areas. It is five minutes from shops and restaurants, and twenty minutes from the town of Yass.